Sunday 4 April 2010

Prawn and aubergine crostini


I am not in danger of over-using "delicious" with this recipe.  Prawn and aubergine together did not bode well to begin with and there's nothing in this recipe to suggest that they will ever make it to the altar.  It was quite frankly revolting and a waste of good tiger prawns that had come all the way from Kalimantan in Borneo, a place i know a lot about courtesy of Marinah, and a place i've got very close to on my trips to northern Borneo.  However, they couldn't salvage this dish.  If you would like to prove me wrong, here's the recipe:

- Cook an aubergine in an oven for 1 hour at 200C, then remove and leave to cool.
- Scrape the flesh into a sieve to drain any excess liquid.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and add 1 clove finely sliced garlic and 1 chopped dried red chilli.
- Cook for a couple of mins, then add 150g raw tiger prawns, and cook for another couple of mins, until they turn coral colour.
- Remove from the heat and put everything into a processor.
- When the prawns are chopped, add the aubergine and give another quick pulse.
- Serve sprinkled with chopped coriander (we also added seasoning and lime juice, which improved it, but still horrible!)

PS I've just remembered that this was my second attempt - at the first attempt, the aubergine literally exploded in the oven with a bang.  I pricked this one a few times to stop this happening.  I've just googled "exploding aubergines" and i'm not the only one it would seem.  I've never cooked an aubergine like this so i found out the hard way - nigella doesn't mention it.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment